When I was younger I would spend many hours outside in the snow, staying out there until I was forced to come inside. The activities available outside as a kid were endless. As I have gotten older, I no longer feel the urge to go outside or enjoy the snow anywhere near as much as I should. I actually resent it because it makes daily activities and driving that much more time consuming. Over the past year I have started to find out that snowmobiling, as much as I enjoy is not economically feasible at this point therefore I should try new activities.
I started out with ice fishing. I went with friends and I thought if nothing else I would have a good story out of it. I like many others didn't see the point in sitting on a lake covered in ice, cut a hole out, stick a tiny pole into the water and just wait and let me tell you, that's EXACTLY what I did, for 6 hours. During that time, I made some rookies mistakes:
1. I didn't wear warm enough socks
2. My boots were waterproof but are used more for rainy days than standing on ice
3. I "accidentally" threw a fish that was caught back into the hole (it was lying on the ice, suffocating it needed to go back into the hole)
Overall though, it was a good experience, I had fun. I don't think I will become an avid ice fisherman, but I do give those credit who do enjoy it. I appreciated being outdoors and being outside during the winter and how pristine the lake and the trees looked. Ice fishing was the beginning and made me come to the conclusion that I have and probably will spend a greater part of time life in upstate New York, therefore I need a change of attitude and perspective.
There are many activities that are worth trying out and it is not to late for me to take advantage of these different activities and you should too!
Living in Ithaca has allowed me to enjoy the gorges and parks that make this city special. This city is also special in regards to the community. This community is extremely active and provide opportunities for others to enjoy that lifestyle as well. Once winter started I was curious to see how it would affect the community, but I have seen many who enjoy snowshoeing, cross country skiing and also downhill skiing with Greek Peak being nearby. While I have tried these activities before, some more successfully than others, I feel the need to give these activities a try once again. I looked up some sites that could be used and found that the many trails that are used in the summertime for hiking and running also work for snowshoeing. A site that I found helpful was www.trails.com this provides trails all over the US, but can narrow down to states and cities.
My conclusion for this blog, is to not only convince others about how enjoyable the winter can be, but also to convince myself to give it a try. Winter lasts anywhere from 4-8 months depending upon what year or who is telling a story, but it isn't going anywhere fast, so put your boots on and enjoy the great outdoors.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
Pushing yourself to try something new can be very challenging, especially when it is due something you know is going to be uncomfortable such as being cold for six hours. There are many different outdoor activities that we can teach to our students so they also can enjoy the winter. For students this is important because out door activities are can be done as individuals and can crete a passion for being outside.
ReplyDeleteWinter is a funny time. It is really the only season that presents new activities based on the weather. Fall, Spring and Summer all have their own perks. But, throughout most of those seasons that grass is green and it is warm enough to wear light clothing. Winter really provides us the opportunity to change it up a little bit.
ReplyDeleteI am fortunate enough to live in The Adirondacks. Now, in the other seasons I am 10 minutes from both Lake George and Saratoga and the options are endless. But, in the winter there is another whole set of activities. Whether it be skiing, ice fishing, tubing, snowmobiling or snowshoeing- the options are once again endless.
When that first snowfall hits, it becomes a rush to get outside and start partaking in your favorite winter activity. However, come February, everyone starts praying for the springtime again. Everyone has had enough of the gray skies, early nights and wet feet. I am one of these people who starts hoping for warmer weather, but I wouldn't give up my time in the snow for anything.
I'm sorry but if you are over the age of 15 and say you enjoy the snow then you are a liar.
ReplyDeleteThe snow is not fun to drive in. It is not fun to clean your car off of. It is not fun to walk in. It's not fun to track it indoors with your wet snowy boots.
I don't even get why everyone gets excited on the first snowfall of the year. We have all seen it before. There is no need to run out and celebrate at 2 am because you have seen the first flake fall.
Yes I have survived and put up with the snow in Ithaca for more than 4 years. But this stuff is vastly overrated. I for one, cannot wait for the snow to be gone, granted I still have 4 + months to wait. I will be the one outside at 2 am celebrating when the snow comes to an end.